A Dream Come True

Excuse me for yelling, but..

We Moved To NEW YORK CITY!!

I could not keep you waiting any longer.  If you're familiar with my bio, then you can totally understand what this move means to me and my family.  Every since my first trip to New York City in 1992, accompanied by my dear mother Courtrina, I have always kept NYC in my heart.

I really do love this place. 

I moved to New York for school back in 2001.  It just so happened that 9-11 happened two weeks later.  Did I go, or did I stay?  It's obvious what family wanted me to do but I chose to follow my heart.  I stayed and graduated from Parson School of Design a year (and one summer course), got married and had a baby, all in the course of 5 years.  As I tried to adjust back to home life in North Carolina, I always felt as if a big part of me was missing.

Back in August of 2001, I arrived to New York with a dream in mind.  My dream (then) was to graduate from Parsons and obtain a position in Fashion Design.  After graduating from Parsons, I landed a sewing position for a private label handbag designer, E.D.E.  This sewing position.. ahem.. the Seamstress position taught me a wealth of skills.  Some taught skills, but mostly natural skills it seems.  Being taught to sew at the age of 5 by my mother was when the sewing seed was sewn.



Slightly acknowledging the gift, I didn't realize how talented I really was.  A lot of words of encouragement came from family, church members, friends and admirers.  Believe me, I am as humble as they come, so to speak of myself, to other's as being talented, still sort of makes me shy away.  I really can't take credit for any of it because of The method behind all of my creations.  My process is this:  Just sit down, and create.  I use what I have and don't dwell on what I wish I had. 

So, onward and forward!  I have all of my machines in place and the New York City Garment District in my back yard! 

Thank you God!

Let's Go Miss Pretty Perfect!

Comments

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!

    And what a beautiful family you guys are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. best of luck for the fullfullment of all your dreams. of course, you don't need luck, you have talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations!! i remember thinking you lived in ny years ago and you told me not yet. never knew you were married either.
    i wish you nothing but the best. may God continue to bless you and yours as you begin a new journey in the big apple.
    stay fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family, beautiful bags in a big beautiful city...what more could you ask for??!! Congrats to you! Good luck with your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! Best of luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts